Well originally I had intended on staying with blogger for the posting tools and publish my blog to my personal web-space provided by my internet company. However, I was wanting to change the template over there and thus was republishing the entire site to my server. This apparently was not working so out of frustration and trying to work with it for a few hours, I decided to just move over here to wordpress.
I have a site using the wordpress engine already and have been very happy with it. For this one I’m not using my own server, which I may be able to do, but for now I decided to just put it on wordpress to make life easier. Plus my server has very little space and is using a lot through two other sites that I have running so I figure this is probably a smarter idea in order to keep my costs down. If I start having issues with keeping this on wordpress, and/or it gets too big, I may go and get it its own server at some point.
On the plus side, wordpress does have a number of features that blogger doesn’t have, is much easier to use and just is all around better, it just doesn’t have the ability to hook up with my internet server directly without having to install the software on that server. It is also quite nice to be using something that I am now more used to using thanks to my other sites, though this is far less powerful than the version that you host yourself.
Word Count: 268 (awww just missed my goal, maybe I will write another post later tonight)
Well I had an exam today in Medieval Warfare. I didn’t really study a ton, I read the material I was supposed to read and looked over my notes from class 2 or 3 times. Nothing major. Heck before class I was sitting there playing sudoku while the rest of the class was freaking out about the test. Why didn’t I study more? Well I think I’m dropping the class. Continue reading “Test Day”
Yesterday I actually did quite a bit of writing. In addition to my post here, I had a short one page paper to write for my Detective Fiction class, and I also wrote a few posts for my Gender & Technology class. Overall I probably wrote close to 2500 words, not bad for an afternoon of work.
Today I came up with a book idea. It is basically a book for my fictional world that I created about 8 or 9 years ago for an MMO that I’ve been working on. Ever since I created this world I’ve wanted to come up with a story that I might be able to turn into a book series without taking away some of the secrets and story that I had planned for the game. Well today I think I came up with a really stellar one. I spent much of class today writing out various things that are occurring in the world to set up the story. I haven’t really fleshed out the characters yet, but I know the events that are occurring in the town that will hopefully set up a really good story between the characters.I would say what the story is about, but honestly I don’t want anyone to take it because it is fairly unique in its approach.
Otherwise it is a fairly standard day. After classes I went to the hospital for an infusion. Took 2 tries for them to get me and was there for about 2 hours. Tuesdays are a busy day. I wish that I didn’t have to go, but I need to go twice a week otherwise I start bleeding and there is no way of avoiding either Monday or Tuesday, both of which are busy there.
Have yet to eat today and just ordered a pizza at Pizza Hut. I know I know. It isn’t very healthy food, but it is the first meal of the day, and will likely be the only one for me. Hopefully the fact that it is the only meal I will have will counteract its unhealthiness.
Word Count: 350
technorati tags:story, writing, book, infusion, factor, hemophilia, diet, school
My life seems to be extremely goal orientated right now however I’m not actually very good at fulfilling them so this is one step to try. I am going to list here a few of the goals that I have.
- Write a book.
- First step in this goal is to get in the habit of writing. So I have set a smaller goal of writing about 300 words a day, regardless of what it is about. This is just a practice I think will be good for me to get in the habit of writing. Most of these will come in the form of this blog (hopefully). But I am also going to try to fufill this via term papers in class, and even writing the real book
- In addition, I eventually want this number to increase from 300 a day to 600 a day, to 1000 a day. This way when I hit 1000 a day I will hopefully be used to it enough to transitiion into more serious book writing
- School. I need to not only keep going and do well in school, but I also need to concentrate on classes that will better my writing in some way. I feel I have done this to a certain extent by concentrating on Literature classes, but I think next semester I should try to focus more on the grammatical side and actual writing classes.
- Become a Game Developer
- Meet people in the industry. I have started this process, going to the IGDA Madison chapter meeting last Thursday, and am now helping to create their website so that I am helping out and showing true interest. I also intend on going to GDC this year and meeting people nationally there. I am also taking a game oriented class and intend on taking more next semester.
- Work on my own design. This I am doing though, less now that school has started. I want to be able to create my own game on paper, and maybe even my own puzzle game in reality to release for free and deluxe versions to start earning income and get experience in the field.
- Start my own gaming company. This is something I am working on. I think I have some interesting funding ideas to get it started and have a number of initial games to do. I also have a few friends that I believe that I can convince into joining up and building the first game with me for money after release. Actually the main thing on this fron that I am working on is what I want to call the company and then I plan on talking to lawywers to see how to get it started.
- School. Again school is something I’ve been doing, and one of the suggestions I had early on when I decided to be a game designer was to take a lot of different types of classes. Essentially I should learn about a lot of different things. I think I have done that to large extent. I have taken history, math, computer science, tons of literature on various subjects (Urdu, Russian, Multi-cultural, Shakespeare, Classic, and am currently taking Detective Fiction), Mideval warfare, sciences (like evolution and geography) and arts. I need to continue that but also start going more towards game centric classes which I started this semester doing.
- Lose 50 lbs.
- Diet! I Have started a meager diet because I’ve gained a bit of weight over the last couple of years and I’d like to get down so that I’m more confident and have a better chance of meeting someone. I’ve switched to low fat foods a lot more, I’ve started eating smaller portions, I’ve started eating more fruits and vegetables, and I’ve tried removing candy and chocolate from my diet. I just need to continue this and perhaps get alittle better and more consistant with it.
- Exercise. This is something I did start doing during the spring with Geocaching, but during a few weeks where it became unbearably hot and then followed up with a lot of rain I got out of the habit. I would like to reclaim this activity as it did a very good job at getting me out and exercising regularly.
Any more goals? I don’t think I can think of any now, but these are the big three which of course lead to other bigger things. (Marriage, career, and the ever elusive happiness). Hopefully I can continue to work towards these goals!
Word Count: 763!!!
technorati tags:goals, writing, diet, game, develpment, school
Well I think Nintendo made their first big mistake in the Wii wars. Honestly I thought the change to Wii from Revolution was good, I too liked Revolution better but I’m the gamer, they are looking for more than the gamer. I think the Wii was more attractive to a wider audience, so overall it was a good move on their part. I think holding out all their information until a couple months till launch was a good move. Sony proved to the world why they SHOULD continue to not tell anyone anything at E3 by having a controller with very weak motion sensing capabilities (therefore stealing Nintendo’s idea from half a year previous). But I can’t agree with their release date, and especially their price.
Continue reading “Wii & Price”
I was listening to the latest episode of Gamespot’s Hotspot today and they were talking about video game reviews and such. And while they were talking about how they didn’t feel people were interested in people’s opinion on games and the art of games, etc and that is why reviews on games are more technical and neutral than movie and music reviews.
Continue reading “Hotspot on the spot”