Now that Marvel is going into the realm of “we can do anything bitches” with Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Doctor Strange. And likewise we are seeing DC going all in with movies like Suicide Squad and Aquaman (really?), and Sony even making a movie based on the Sinister Six.1 Well why not start talking about what movies we would all like to see get made? So I present you my list.
1. Bishop – We had a glimpse of Bishop in Days of Future Past, and we might see him again in Age of Apocalypse considering he did play a part in that storyline. Bishop was one of the more popular additions to the X-Men squad in the 90s Bishop has the ability to absorb energy and then redirect it back wherever he wants it. It’s an interesting dynamic and he tends to be more powerful than Gambit who can just kind of create it out of nothing. The absorbed energy also seems to amplify his strength, he has a robotic arm, and he time travels. What isn’t to like?
2. Cable – Another X-Man who became really popular in the 90s spawning his own comic series, and another time traveler that had a hand with Apocalypse a few times. Cable would be an interesting choice in the movies because he is the son of Scott Summers and a clone of Jean Grey. The likelihood of the original actors returning in those roles to any extent is slim to none, but Cable was always kind of shrouded with mystery and could make an entrance into the X-Men series pretty easily without the parents. Like Bishop, Cable has a cybernetic arm, but Cable is essentially a muscular Jean Gray with guns. I honestly don’t foresee both Bishop AND Cable, and given that we have already seen Bishop, we’ll have to rest our hopes on Bishop spinning off.
3. Alpha Flight – Wikipedia describes Alpha Flight as “Canada’s answer to the Avengers” but it could easily be replaced with the X-Men. The group is all Canadian and was a major part of Wolverine’s back story. They are kind of off the beaten path but I always took a fancy to the group. I find this group would be extremely unlikely to get their own movies, but we might have a better shot at seeing in a Wolverine movie at some point now that the Wolverine movies with Hugh Jackman seem to be making a return.
4. Moon Knight – Moon Knight has never been an overly popular Marvel franchise but definitely has a cult following. I will be honest I don’t know a lot about him, but I appreciate the Egyptian motifs that he has and the Batman-like feel. He does have powers of strength and reflexes that wane with the cycle of the moon, but they seem to play a minor role. He also has multiple-personalities which might make for a very interesting movie. He also has been on and off on the Avengers and has movie rights actually owned by Marvel so there is a decent chance we eventually see a Moon Knight movie.
5. Jonah Hex – I mean a real one, not that crappy one that was made a few years ago that was so bad no one even knew it was there. I am reminded of him constantly with the Gotham TV show because in a lot of ways, Jonah Hex actually is the pre-quel to Batman. He is a character from the old west days of Gotham, that is a lot like Batman mixed with Two-Face. He’s got a distorted face and is very rough around the edges but is generally out looking to do the best by what is out there. Like batman, he sometimes travels that fine line between good and bad, though he seems to fall to bad a little more often.
6. Silver Surfer – He kind of had a movie, but it was a small part in a bad Fantastic Four movie. They are rebooting Fantastic Four, and I am kind of hoping that Silver Surfer gets a second chance because of it. Now that Guardians of the Galaxy did so well with being a space-set super hero, I think it is totally in the realm of possibility. He did have some time on the ground, but a full on Space movie would be a pretty cool route to go with him.